2012 – The lantern : Urban Service Station _ Paris france
Place Paris, France
Team Eric Cassar, Javier Murillo, Florian Harry
Chief engineer Total
-A comforting lantern building shines under the bridge. A screen,visible from a distance, broadcasts information : « Romain Grosjean, F1-Total racing driver, podium in the Canadian Grand Prix ».
-A building adapted to car drivers, a shop also open to pedestrians and bikers.
-An economic bioclimatic building adapted for use. As a covered market, it is waterproof but not airtight.
- Heavily trafficked road
- Service station opens 7d/7 and 24h/24
- In the morning, many pedestrians on their way to work
- Without any relation with the Seine, the building, that centralises the activity, is hidden, located as far as possible. The trucks are visible. They hide the shop.
- In the summer, the roof-bridge protects the building with its shadow. However, the rest of the year, the lack of light may be frightening. The east facing building is provided with daylight in the morning.
- Weather protection
- No neighbours: no neighbourhood disturbances, no visual pollution.
User profile : A pedestrian / A car driver who buy gas, a car driver who wants to wash his car.
- Create synergy in order to attract more customers/ communicate/ improve the city appearance.
- Not to pit pedestrians against car drivers.
- Pay attention to sustainable development.
Actions – project
A light building, a lantern under the bridge, an entrance door in Paris. The shop will be open towards the city, towards the Seine, it becomes a luminous sign and marks the entrance of Paris. It is visible both from Paris, Issy-les-Moulineaux and from the Seine. The service station is a light source. Transparent, the building reassures and attracts a new type of customers, pedestrians. The interior light spreads outside.
Transparency and media:
- Create a lantern-building that illuminates the inside and the outside. A translucent lantern building, a light source under the bridge. No energy wastage…
- The frontage and the roofing of the building are made of policarbonate with neons (cheapest product) or LED integrated, in order to create a screen-wall in the city. The latter may interact with pedestrians and cars and change colour depending on the traffic.
The lantern like appearance produces a reassuring environment for customers and walkers.
For a car driver customer :
1- Either the weather is cold and he dressed consequently, in order not to be cold while fuelling the car.
2- Or he did not wear warm clothing, which means it is not cold.
Nowadays, in service stations – and this has been confirmed during our visits at Relais Pont-Aval – the shop door stays often open in order to encourage the customer to get in.The building will be bioclimatic and low heated.
Relation to the sun to the east … which heats the building in the morning. Separation of heated spaces and transitional spaces /roof closed in order to keep warm air inside or, at the opposite, opened in order to exhaust it : thermal control / openings in the building roof for thermal control/ air curtain producing heat.
Sustainable development and Economy:
Bioclimatic : the climat is taken into account, energy savings, investment economy
- Create a covered market like building.
- A translucid skin, waterproof but not airtight.
- Double use of the light inside and outside (no loss of light)
- Tar or concrete ground. Identical to runways ground. (slightly elevated)
Meanwhile, increase turnover :
Faster washing – better return -
The shop is bigger and attracts pedestrians – news papers, food … -
Gas : two more pumps.
Security increases for everybody thanks to the light, the location and the new relation to the street. The cashier is visible from the two runways and from the street. We can not hide easily all these views. The cashier is raised. The checkout is closed, shielded and air conditioned.
It’s directly in relation with the manager office.